Roll to Dodge - Altered
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Natural Resources

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Natural Resources Empty Natural Resources

Post  The Dark King Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:35 pm

A collection of resources that occur naturally in the universe. Due to the nature of Enigma, no natural resources can be mined, collected, harvested, or gathered in any fashion, except for purchasing it from vendors. Tartarus has the fewest resource deposits to be found, but still has some. Naturala and Arcana have the highest deposit concentrations to be found. Unless otherwise stated, all the resources listed below can be found on any of the 3 planets.

Darkstone: A special stone that is only found deep in the earth, it has been imbued with numerous properties. These properties are incredible density, extreme hardness, and indestructibility. If the stone is sharpened, it can yield razor sharp cutting edges that never dull. This includes mono-molecular edges as well. The properties of the stone can be extracted with the proper equipment, and used to enchant metal with. The metal is then called darksteel, and possesses all the properties of darkstone. Darkstone deposits are never more than 3 every in every 40000 square kilometers, and the deposits are never more than 2 tonnes in mass. As a point of reference, a cubic meter of darkstone has a mass of 64 tonnes. On open market, it sells for insane amounts of money. The low-end of the price range is $2000000/kg.

Blazewater: Water that has been magically changed to have a much higher boiling point than regular water. The boiling point is now 2000 degrees Celsius. It is found only on Arcana, and even then only in highly magical areas. It cannot be found on the surface, it can only be located near the planet's mantel. Deposits of it range from 50 to 50000 kg, and it sells for upwards of $100000/5 kg on open market. The properties can be extracted to create superheated weaponry and armour, or make an item fireproof. While it is more common than Darkstone, it is still rare. Up to 10 deposits of it can be found in every 40000 square kilometers.

Meteor Sand: Meteor Sand is literally a meteor that has been reduced to sand over many years. The sand is highly magnetic, but is only attracted to other Meteor Sand. Due to the attractive properties of the item, it is most commonly used to create weaponry that can be used in any situation, by applying a magical current to mold the sand to the desired shape. It can only be found on Tartarus, and very rarely on the surface. It most commonly is found 1-2 km beneath the surface, and only in small patches. One patch never exceeds 10 kg in mass. This is remedied by the relative abundance of the material, roughly 500 patches per 1000 square kilometers. On open market, 1 kg sells for up to $1000.

Last edited by The Dark King on Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:37 am; edited 2 times in total
The Dark King
The Dark King
Creative Director

Back to top Go down

Natural Resources Empty Re: Natural Resources

Post  Megaprr Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:27 pm

Arcanium Crystals ---- name is subject to change. i just haven't thought of anything more creative.

These mysterious crystals are best described as a physical embodiment of magic. No one has been able to depict exactly what element of the periodic table it is because it's bonds and molecular structure are constantly changing. No one knows exactly why theses crystals form, but some people believe that Arcana's magical field has something to do with it.

Although Arcanium Crystals embody magic, they are most almost always neutral in nature, meaning that they don't embody a specific magical element such as light, fire, poison, etc. Instead, Scholars and Wizards Infuse the crystals with what ever magic they want, to suit their needs. This is almost always the case. However, it's not absolute. From time to time a crystal will be found with a very strong, specific energy. These crystals are know as "Radiant Crystals and they are extremely dangerous and powerful, so they are almost always stored away in special vaults. The reason for these special crystals forming is because they were very close to a strong source of whatever energy they have ie: A lava or fire crystal could grow near a volcano.

The crystals generally form in caves, because they require calm circumstances to grow. They also always grow in a round, spherical shape. They come in various sizes and purity levels (which depends on how undisturbed the place where they grew was, and how much magical energy was in the area around them). In order to make the crystals do what the crafter needs, a specific shape must be given to it. Spherical crystals always simply radiate their energy and element with a faint glow (unless they are Radiant, in which case, they output very strong light and a slight hum can be heard).

Crafting the crystals is a very long, and dangerous process involving, shaping, and infusing the crystal. The more complex the purpose that is wanted, the longer it takes to craft it. Because elemental magic is performed by combining two pre-existing elements,(ie: water and fire to make steam, or earth and fire to make lava) Infusing Crystals with lights can be dangerous depending on how complex the element desired is. Infusing a crystal with a first generation element like fire is a lot easier than infusing it with a third or fourth generation element like Death.

Almost all major Arcanian cities have adopted these crystals as a source of energy and magic. For example, Crystals infused with light are very often used as street lamps. Because not all shapes and results are recorded, the crafting of crystals is a craft that is allowed to only a few specific individuals who are given a license.
Megaprr
Megaprr

Back to top Go down

Post  The Silent Watcher Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:44 pm

@TDK - Darksteel? MTG much? Razz

@Megaprr - ...Yeah, that's pretty much what I had in mind for "magic batteries" (ie. magic-storing devices that could also be used to power machinery in some cases). How rare are they?

Also, I'd assume that the technology used to extract energy from them for electrical purposes would be Enigma tech (ie. needs to be found on Enigma rather than built). Agreed?
The Silent Watcher
The Silent Watcher
Artificial Intelligence

https://rtdaltered.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Megaprr Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:22 am

SHIT. yeah. I completely forgot to add the rarity of each type. wow.

Tiny --- These are very common, they are the size of a thumbnail or less, and are most often used for small devices that require little energy. They take around a year to grow.
Rarity: You can find at least 10 in a square kilometer (on average), though they are deep in the earth.

Small --- These are less common than the tiny ones, and they range from the index finger and middle finger put together, to a thumbnail. They take around 3-5 years to grow
Rarity: One or two on average per square kilometer.

Medium --- These are a lot less common than small size crystals. they range from an entire hand to 2 fingers put together. It takes around 10 years to form.
Rarity: Roughly 2 or 3 per 10 square kilometers on average.

Large --- These Crystals are the size of entire limbs to the size of a hand. They need space to grow, so they are a lot rarer than the smaller ones. These take around 20 or 30 years to form.
Rarity: 1 or 2 in 50 square kilometers on average.

Huge --- This type of crystal can range in size from an entire outstretched person, to a single limb. They are very rare. These take at least 80 years to form
Rarity: 1 in 100 square kilometers on average.

Collosal --- These crystals range in size from an entire classroom to a single person. They are the largest type of crystal. Hence, they are extremely rare. These take so long that they are considered an nonrenewable resource. They take at least 200 years to form.
Rarity: 1 In 1000 square kilometers.

Levels of purity:

Garbage: These crystals are have been disturbed to the point that they have become useless and cannot be infused. These crystals often grow in places like underneath cities, where there is enough peace to grow, but not enough peace for there to be any magic in them.

Very Impure: These crystals barely have any use. Most of the time, miners dispose of them because it's not worth the effort infusing them. They can be used to heat things up like a hot stone if infused with fire. Or they cause a tiny static spark if infused with electricity. These crystals on rare occasions grow underneath cities. but most often grow along paths or sub-urban and rural areas.

Impure: These crystals are not very powerful at all, but they do have purpose. They can be used for simple tasks such as ovens, boilers, light bulbs (magical ones :3). They generally grow in the wilderness around small towns.

Partial Pure: These are crystals which have known a some disturbance, but not very much of it. They are powerful enough to be used in weapons, but not very good ones. These are most often given to the low ranking officers. These grow in low magic wilderness areas.

Imperfect Pure: These are the fourth best type of crystals, and the third most pure. Medium ranking officers use these in weapons. These grow in medium magic wilderness areas

Pure: These are pure enough to be called "pure crystals" although they are not 100% pure.
High ranking officers use these in weapons.These only grow in High magic Wilderness areas.

Perfect Pure: These crystals are very powerful. They are the purest type of crystal, and are very, very rare. Leaders sometimes have these inserted in their weapons. They are a mighty force to be reckoned with. These need the calm of a place still untouched by man. and with very high magic levels.

Legendary: These crystals are a myth. Some people speculate that if they exist, they must have known some sort of external force that calms even the quiver of matter itself, as impossible as it might sound. Although most people think they don't exist, there have been records of such crystals existing in the past. and they have always left their mark. It is still unknown where or how these crystals grow.

Megaprr
Megaprr

Back to top Go down

Post  The Silent Watcher Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:34 am

I'd hardly call that common enough to use them as, say, lightbulbs or streetlights, unless they're only found in specific parts of Arcana.

Also there's probably parts of Enigma powered by Legendary-scale crystals. stupid timeless stealing all our awesome stuff *shot*

Anyways.

*This rest of this post has been moved*

-TDK-
The Silent Watcher
The Silent Watcher
Artificial Intelligence

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dark King Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:54 am

@TSW how in the world is nanomaterials a "natural resource"? And no, MTG was not where I got the idea from. Smile
The Dark King
The Dark King
Creative Director

Back to top Go down

Post  Megaprr Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:37 pm

I believe we had already established that there was one civilization before the current one. so that answers your question TSW. Lets say our civilization has existed for around 20,000 years. We need at least 10,000 years between each one. so the past civilization fell around 30,000 years ago. We'll probably leave why it fell a mystery for now. so, the timeless need at least a 2 civilization gap between themselves and any other civilization. so that would be 90,000 years ago. round that off and we're left with 100,000 years ago. which is a good number I think.

so to summerize:
Timeless: ???-100,000 years ago
The Zerg ( just a substitute name Very Happy ) 50,000 years ago - 30,000 years ago
Our current Civilization: 20,000 years ago - now

Agree or Disagree?
Megaprr
Megaprr

Back to top Go down

Post  The Silent Watcher Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:36 pm

@TDK - They're the "natural resources" on Enigma, of course.

@Megaprr - I'd say make it a larger gap. Perhaps a 25,000 or 50,000 year gap between civilizations?
The Silent Watcher
The Silent Watcher
Artificial Intelligence

Back to top Go down

Post  Megaprr Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:28 pm

yeah ok. 50,000 year gap. before it was a 10,000 year gap. so we just add 40,000 years for the first civilization

so zerg were from 90,000 -70,000 round it off to 100,000 - 80,000
timeless were a larger civilization than average. so lets say it lasted 50,000 years.
so, 200,000 to 150,000 years ago.
Megaprr
Megaprr

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dark King Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:31 pm

Ok, but "natural resources" kind of implies that they were formed naturally guys. Not just left behind. That's more like treasure.
The Dark King
The Dark King
Creative Director

Back to top Go down

Post  The Silent Watcher Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:36 pm

@Megaprr - I'd imagine a species capable of building planets (Enigma) would have a civilization lasting longer than 50,000 years. Since we're not really dealing with any civilizations that came before them, perhaps just leave how long they existed indeterminate?

@TDK - Where else am I going to put nanomaterials?
The Silent Watcher
The Silent Watcher
Artificial Intelligence

Back to top Go down

Post  Megaprr Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:41 am

woops yeah, that was a mistake. on the first chart I had it set as undetermined. I just forgot on the second. my bad.
Megaprr
Megaprr

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dark King Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:06 am

@TSW, make a new topic called advanced materials and supplies, then put it in there.
The Dark King
The Dark King
Creative Director

Back to top Go down

Post  The Silent Watcher Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:09 pm

Pointless to make one now, until we come up with more. Otherwise, it'll be a topic with one post in it...
The Silent Watcher
The Silent Watcher
Artificial Intelligence

Back to top Go down

Post  Megaprr Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:36 pm

......and now we watch as TDK makes the post instead of you. Smile
Megaprr
Megaprr

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dark King Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:30 pm

Done. Took all of 30 seconds. Smile
The Dark King
The Dark King
Creative Director

Back to top Go down

Post  BAM Blind And Mad Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:49 am

well to be fair I just came back and I have an idea so I am going to post it you can carry on with your disagreement whatever after my post

#name pending#

a exceptionaly common durable and maluable matteral that also has unique light absorbtion, light reflection and light production properties. These unique properties inclued lighting up whenever put with more of the substance as well as depending on the stregth of the light it well depending absorb or reflect any ANY color or shade. This matterial also heats and cools strangly meaning it only ONLY heats and cools when far away from other deposits or close to other deposits which also makes it heat and cold resilent

p.s. so for the spelling still a little tired and hope you like the idea
BAM Blind And Mad
BAM Blind And Mad
Head Technician

http://www.rolltododge.net78.net

Back to top Go down

Post  The Silent Watcher Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:17 pm

-Common
-Durable
-Malleable
-Lights up in large deposits
-Variety of colors based on how large the deposit is
-Rate of temperature change is based on how distant it is from another deposit

Is this right? 'Cause it's rather...silly, in my opinion.
The Silent Watcher
The Silent Watcher
Artificial Intelligence

Back to top Go down

Post  BAM Blind And Mad Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:50 pm

kinda except it lights up when NEAR deposits(no matter the size) and the whole tempature thing is kinda like a chemical reaction except without touching so...
oh and I almost forgot its a good conducter of electricity

based on gold with some modifications that I thought would be neat and somewhat usefull
BAM Blind And Mad
BAM Blind And Mad
Head Technician

Back to top Go down

Post  The Silent Watcher Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:39 am

The Silent Watcher wrote:-Common
-Durable
-Malleable
-Lights up near other deposits
-Variety of colors based on how large the deposit is
-Heats/cools when near another deposit
-Good conductor

?

It sounds, as I said, ridiculous.
The Silent Watcher
The Silent Watcher
Artificial Intelligence

Back to top Go down

Post  BAM Blind And Mad Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:46 am

essentually except it is also excessivly resillent to heat and cold

@TSW: its good for wires don't you say and not to mention I could probably come up with a 100 more usefull ways to use it
BAM Blind And Mad
BAM Blind And Mad
Head Technician

Back to top Go down

Post  The Silent Watcher Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:48 am

By "resilient" do you mean that it doesn't become brittle/doesn't shrink or expand due to heat/cold?
The Silent Watcher
The Silent Watcher
Artificial Intelligence

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackstar88 Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:45 am

TSW it's a game with magic the hole concept of magic is rather silly
Blackstar88
Blackstar88
Bad Speller

Back to top Go down

Post  The Silent Watcher Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:20 pm

@Blackstar88 - By "ridiculous" I mean "its a substance created specifically to be useful"

I'd be fine with it, if we changed one thing.

Rather than have it be a material based off gold, make it enchanted gold.

Or make it rare.

Quickedit: As for the "natural" part, perhaps it forms in the same areas as those crystals, so that it's naturally magical?
The Silent Watcher
The Silent Watcher
Artificial Intelligence

Back to top Go down

Post  Megaprr Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:56 pm

We could make it be a type of rock that grows at the base of crystals if you want.
Megaprr
Megaprr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum